xfpager, and general observations

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Aug 19 02:30:02 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

> On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> So starting `xfwm -noxfce' with the edited xfwmrc as shown above in your
>> instructions.  I see the pager at the top of my Xnest window a little
>> to the right. (and no panel)
>>
>> Adding this to xfwmrc
>>   *xfpager.geometry +500+400
>>
>> And `xfwm -noxfce'
>>
>> Brings the pager about center, so its working as it should.
>>

> Aha! Maybe your machine is too fast for XFCE... :) And if you will remove

What I reported above is correct behavior... is it not?  the geometry
shown should bring pager to about center.  That is what happened.

> 'AddToFunc' lines (but leave xfpager.geometry line) from xfwmrc and start
> xfwm, and xfwm will start xfce panel -- just the usual session but in the
> sandbox... Please try it and tell us what will happen.

With the AddToFunc lines commented out, no pager is started.  panel
started as it should.  Setting the pallette/startup/[x]xfpager and a
restart.  As it should, the  pager appears at geometry specified.  My
current spec from xfwmrc

   *xfpager.geometry 170x120+1141+1050

Puts the pager level with and at the right (just touching) the panel.
And at a size I like.

I haven't been able to duplicate the problems we say previously.

>> I notice one phenomena.  With no panel, there is no handy way to quit
>> a session cleanly.  So if you had any xterms running or whatever,
>> when you ^ c to stop xfwm in the Xnest window.  On next startup you
>> begin to accumulate xterms in the Xnest sand box.
>>
>> I tried adding `Key  q   A  CSM Quit' to the sandbox xfwmrc file.
>> But when I press the combo, it quits not only Xnest sandbox but my
>> regular X sesion too!... hehe
>> Backs me clear out to a console prompt.
>>
>> I guess one needs the panel in the Xnest sandbox to quit cleanly.
>
> Hmm, it works as it should on my machine. I mean, when I'm choosing
> "Quit XFWM" -> "Quit" from the root window pop up menu (left click on the
> root window) only the xfwm in the sandbox got killed. My regular session
> (which is, of course, xfwm too) is staying alive. I've just tried it.
> Maybe it has something to do with startx script. I'm using xdm (no
> console).

Please note that in the above description I didn't use the panel
`quit' button or menu `quit' like you did.  I set a key combo, shown
above, to invoke quit.  When I use that keycombo in the sandbox.  It
quits out of Xnest, and the regular X (also xfce) session.  All
the way out to console mode.

How might I make the panel a bit larger?