xfpager, and general observations

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Mon Aug 19 02:10:50 CEST 2002

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> So starting `xfwm -noxfce' with the edited xfwmrc as shown above in your
> instructions.  I see the pager at the top of my Xnest window a little
> to the right. (and no panel)
>
> Adding this to xfwmrc
>   *xfpager.geometry +500+400
>
> And `xfwm -noxfce'
>
> Brings the pager about center, so its working as it should.

Aha! Maybe your machine is too fast for XFCE... :) And if you will remove
'AddToFunc' lines (but leave xfpager.geometry line) from xfwmrc and start
xfwm, and xfwm will start xfce panel -- just the usual session but in the
sandbox... Please try it and tell us what will happen.

> I notice one phenomena.  With no panel, there is no handy way to quit
> a session cleanly.  So if you had any xterms running or whatever,
> when you ^ c to stop xfwm in the Xnest window.  On next startup you
> begin to accumulate xterms in the Xnest sand box.
>
> I tried adding `Key  q   A  CSM Quit' to the sandbox xfwmrc file.
> But when I press the combo, it quits not only Xnest sandbox but my
> regular X sesion too!... hehe
> Backs me clear out to a console prompt.
>
> I guess one needs the panel in the Xnest sandbox to quit cleanly.

Hmm, it works as it should on my machine. I mean, when I'm choosing
"Quit XFWM" -> "Quit" from the root window pop up menu (left click on the
root window) only the xfwm in the sandbox got killed. My regular session
(which is, of course, xfwm too) is staying alive. I've just tried it.
Maybe it has something to do with startx script. I'm using xdm (no
console).

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."