xfpager, and general observations

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 18 16:20:55 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

> AddToFunc "InitFunction"
> + "I" Module xfpager
> AddToFunc "RestartFunction"
> + "I" Module xfpager
>
> that's because normally xfce panel is starting xfpager for you, but we
> don't want to start panel this time. Thus we have to tell xfwm to start
> xfpager. Of course, add '*xfpager.geometry +100+300' to the xfwmrc too.
>
> Now start xfwm _without_ xfce panel:
>
> [xfce at bigtux xfce]$ xfwm -noxfce
>
> and tell us what will happen

I got the sand box setup with your carefull instructions.  I had no
idea one could setup such a thing.  It all works as you described.

So starting `xfwm -noxfce' with the edited xfwmrc as shown above in your
instructions.  I see the pager at the top of my Xnest window a little
to the right. (and no panel)

Adding this to xfwmrc
  *xfpager.geometry +500+400

And `xfwm -noxfce'

Brings the pager about center, so its working as it should.

I notice one phenomena.  With no panel, there is no handy way to quit
a session cleanly.  So if you had any xterms running or whatever,
when you ^ c to stop xfwm in the Xnest window.  On next startup you
begin to accumulate xterms in the Xnest sand box.

I tried adding `Key  q   A  CSM Quit' to the sandbox xfwmrc file.
But when I press the combo, it quits not only Xnest sandbox but my
regular X sesion too!... hehe
Backs me clear out to a console prompt.

I guess one needs the panel in the Xnest sandbox to quit cleanly.

But I have the test setup working, and ready for experiments.