xfpager, and general observations

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Sun Aug 18 04:58:23 CEST 2002

Yeah, just try to run it without xfce panel. If it still will not work,
try to install my rpm package (which is the latest "official" stable
version, because 3.8.18 is not an "official" stable release yet).

Anyway, here goes the short explanation, how xfwm starts xfpager module.

xfpager is xfwm module. Which means it _must_ be started by the xfwm. Just
try to start it from the command line, and you'll see

xfpager Version 3.8.16 should only be executed by xfwm!

Somehow xfwm must know that it should start xfpager module. There are
two ways to tell xfwm to do so:
1) you can add appropriate command to the xfwmrc file (those AddToFunc
lines);
2) you can ask xfce panel to send appropriate command to xfwm.

If you have checkbox "Pager (xfpager)" checked (setup dialog, "startup"
tab), then during the startup xfce panel will send a command to xfwm to
spawn xfpager module. Another way is to use panel menu at any time (again
panel will just send a command to xfwm). You can use this if you've killed
xfpager (note: the configuration is still maintained by xfwm, so don't
expect xfpager to pick up new setting from xfwmrc file -- it won't). And
the third way (somehow equivalent to the checkbox) is to modify xfwmrc
file.

Hence, if you don't have 'AddToFunc "InitFunction" + "I" Module xfpager'
line in your xfwmrc file and the checkbox is not checked, XFCE should not
start xfpager.

And I'm sorry, maybe I've missed something. Are you're saying that
sometimes, even if the checkbox is checked or not, and you do NOT have
'AddToFunc "InitFunction" + "I" Module xfpager' in your xfwmrc, xfpager
is still appears when you starting xfce? That's weird. In this case I
would recommend you to roll back to the 3.8.16 release, because it could
be a bug in the session management code in 3.8.18.

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."