xfpager, and general observations

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 18 04:09:08 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

Got the directions and am proceeding with the setup.  Looks like a
pretty cool way to setup a sand box.

In the meantime, I've been tinkering here and have discovered
something that explains some of the confusion we were discussing
yesterday.

There is an item on pallette (setup tool) on `startup' menu:
[] xfpager
If that isn't checked, no amount of stuff in xfwmrc will make it move
according to geometry settings there.  In fact it seems it will not
even be displayed.  (However, yesterday it was getting displayed but
not moving according to geometry...)

I rm -rf .xfce, rebuilt xfce src package after `make distclean' Using
the original unedited XfwmPager.c src file.

Did mkdir .xfce  and `startx'  Worked good.

So, copied the xfwmrc and started tinkering with xfpager, after [x] in
pallette/startup [x] xfpager.

Now I can shuffle the pager around all I want with geometry settings.
Also I don't see the odd background changing behavior when clicking
[one] window on panel as I did yesterday.

Tail of xfwmrc  (that is all that is changed from the example)
[...]
  ## ==================
  Key e   A CS Exec emacs -geometry +500+300 .
  Key t   A CS Exec xterm -geometry +600+400
  Key b   A CS Exec netscape -no-about-splash -geometry +400+300
  Key t   A CM xterm -bg midnightblue -fg antiquewhite -title "     SSH SESSION"
  Key k   A CS Exec xterm -geometry +700+500 -e vim +'/xfpager\.geom' ~/.xfce/xfwmrc
  Key v   A CS Exec gvim -fn 9x15 -geometry +660+460 .xfce
  Key r   A CM Restart
  Key q   A CSM Quit
  Key m   A CS Exec xterm -geometry +500+500 -e mutt
  Key c   A CS Exec xfclock
  Key 1   A CS Exec xterm -geometry +300+350 -bg darkslategrey -fg wheat -e ssh root at localhost
  # Options for xfpager :
  #
  *xfpager.geometry 170x120+1141+1050
  # [HP 08/17/02 17:42  Changing the font seems to have no effect]
  *xfpager.font 9x15

I'm starting work on the setup you describe and will get back to you
when I have it running.