minor autoconf/automake annoyances

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Apr 23 22:26:06 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 16:10, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> By no means am I an expert on automake issues, so I may be talking utter
> nonsense here.

That makes at least two of us ;-)

Some time ago I tried automake 1.5 and it didn't work right. AFAIR, Guido said
something about it being broken. Although I do get some AM_this_and_that
warnings, automake-1.4p5 works ok here.

> Also, most/all of the things I found may be caused by my use of
> slackware-current tools: autoconf 2.53, automake 1.5, gettext 0.11.
> Anyway, I found the following 'problems':
>
> 1) make regenerates files (see earlier post on the subject). This can
> suposedly be changed by putting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.in. It
> seems to work for me.
>
> 2) If you do a make clean after configure, make quits with an error
> about a lot of missing .dep/* files. This seems a bit strange to me.
>
> 3) automake has two errors about noinst_DATA not being defined in
> xfglob/icons/Makefile.am and xfwm/Makfile.am.
> This can be solved by moving the definitions up before the use of the
> variable.
>
> 4) make fails in po/ because @CATALOGS@ and @POFILES@ are
> not expanded by configure. I'm guessing that it's a problem with
> gettext, but --with-included-gettext doesn't seem to work for me.
> BTW, on a side-note, gettext also complains about empty strings marked
> for translation in xfce/xtree_toolbar.c and xfsamba/xfsamba_gui.c.
>

> I can change 1) and 3) in CVS if you want. I have no idea whether 2) and
> 4) are caused by my setup or something else.

If the changes make it work with automake 1.5 without breaking the way it
works with automake 1.4p5, I can think of no good reason why not to commit.

saludos,

Edscott