minor autoconf/automake annoyances

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Wed Apr 24 00:10:28 CEST 2002

By no means am I an expert on automake issues, so I may be talking utter
nonsense here.
Also, most/all of the things I found may be caused by my use of
slackware-current tools: autoconf 2.53, automake 1.5, gettext 0.11.
Anyway, I found the following 'problems':

1) make regenerates files (see earlier post on the subject). This can
suposedly be changed by putting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.in. It
seems to work for me.

2) If you do a make clean after configure, make quits with an error
about a lot of missing .dep/* files. This seems a bit strange to me.

3) automake has two errors about noinst_DATA not being defined in
xfglob/icons/Makefile.am and xfwm/Makfile.am.
This can be solved by moving the definitions up before the use of the
variable.

4) make fails in po/ because @CATALOGS@ and @POFILES@ are
not expanded by configure. I'm guessing that it's a problem with
gettext, but --with-included-gettext doesn't seem to work for me.
BTW, on a side-note, gettext also complains about empty strings marked
for translation in xfce/xtree_toolbar.c and xfsamba/xfsamba_gui.c.

I can change 1) and 3) in CVS if you want. I have no idea whether 2) and
4) are caused by my setup or something else.

greetings,
	Jasper