[Xfce-apps] proposition of framework

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:43:11 CET 2005

ok, a little bit further down the trail...

1. View

gnomefiles.org? For me it is way too cluttered... I want a cleaner
interface.

The icons is a good idea though, but if we're not going to use the
division of the applications i don't really see the urge of it... maybe
later on. If I'll use icons ever, I'd probably go with Etiquette.

Colors of the website... well i don't want the colors to be that
different from the xfce base website so prolly I'll stick with these.

Also remember that this is only the first version of the website. As
everything is going to be put in a database there's no real need on
making everything right immediately, at least not on the interface
thing. I want it first to work before i start messing with the
interface... I'll try to get the thing up and running as quickly as we
can without a real special nice interface... when it's working we'll
start with version 1.0 (seeing the other as an alpha or beta release)
which will show an interface resembling xfce.org (but with more
eyecandy)

2. Rating system.

Still doubting on user rating, download rating or admin rating.
User rating is nice but requires everybody (who is going to rate) to
register. (first thought of using the xfce forum user database but that
is out of the question as it is on a different server). And just
registering for rating seems over it... and maybe not that much users
will take the effort (???). On the other hand if everybody registers,
comments are possible and advice for further development can be
posted...
Download rating just seems plain stupid but would be an alternative...
Admin rating... pretty stupid too except if i can do this with at least
5 people...

3. Categories

Desktops and screen-shots is out. Too much work and it will turn the
whole thing into a mess that i would like to avoid.

Still doubting on separating plug-ins from applications. Separating them
means that there must be a clear difference... And I'm not sure if there
always is a difference. After all, for me all applications are plug-ins
for my window manager. This is a little exaggerated but it's to
illustrate my point. If everyone likes it to be separated then I'll do
this but then I need a clear cut definition :)

Discussing the idea of which applications to include and which to
abandon we seemed to have agreed that rox is out... as it doesn't fit
the definition :
[quoting Kelnos on this one ;) (added the art thing)]
pointing people to apps and artwork written/developed for xfce and/or
using xfce's foundation libs

So that keeps in the artwork section : xfce window manager (so window
borders) /  icon themes / splash screen themes / gtk2.0 themes (this is
a kind of special class) / xffm themes

Trying to build up a modular design so sections can be added or removed
later.

One thing i need clarity on, is if you guys would like the "old" themes
of xfce 3 and things like that included in the website? And how are next
versions developing... will we be able to use themes of xfce4.2 for next
versions? You understand that i need this information for the structure
of the db.

4. framework

The framework will be a custom one... so no existing cms or anything
like that. I found myself a php coder that will help me with that...
(Blue_Ice , thnx :bow: )
The code has already been used in some other websites but i understand
that it is highly flexible and my coder (lol) is cleaning up the code...
seems like there's a lot of trash inside that i'm not even allowed to
see...

so long