What is orca in xfce?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:41:31 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
<mengualjeanphi at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit worry about Orca in gnome3, especially due to gnome3
> evolutions and slow progress in a11y, in particular related to at-spi2.
> I especially am worry if Debian freezes, as the next stable with gnome3
> will not be accessible. I wonder if xfce cannot be a good alternate.
> Debian packaged 4.8; I guess a11y mentioned on the wiki is for 4.10.
> Where's this project now? What's its progress? How can I do tests? With
> 4.8, would it work? When will 4.10 be released and will be accessible?
> Is orca 3.2 compatible with xfce?

We have still to make some improvements here, see
http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility.

The option in 4.10 is just an option to make it easier to enable
at-spi, independent from Gnome/GConf.

Orca and Xfce have no relation together, we emit at-spi event through
gtk/atk, so if Orca 3.2 works with at-spi it should be fine.

> If I can help testing, don't hesitate, I'm ready to try. I'm working on
> xfce with orca to see how I can work. But didn't find any solution so
> far.

Well we'd like to know every part that is not accessible (that is not
in the wiki). Joanie already did some testing for that.

Nick