What is orca in xfce?

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Thu Jan 19 13:29:46 CET 2012

Hi,

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2012 à 12:41 +0100, Nick Schermer a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
> <mengualjeanphi at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a bit worry about Orca in gnome3, especially due to gnome3
> > evolutions and slow progress in a11y, in particular related to at-spi2.
> > I especially am worry if Debian freezes, as the next stable with gnome3
> > will not be accessible. I wonder if xfce cannot be a good alternate.
> > Debian packaged 4.8; I guess a11y mentioned on the wiki is for 4.10.
> > Where's this project now? What's its progress? How can I do tests? With
> > 4.8, would it work? When will 4.10 be released and will be accessible?
> > Is orca 3.2 compatible with xfce?
>
> We have still to make some improvements here, see
> http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility.

Ok this is what I read and made me write here. I wanted to know the status of the document: deprecated, current plan, future purpose, etc. So I see it's also the base of the current work. Fine. Thanks.

> The option in 4.10 is just an option to make it easier to enable
> at-spi, independent from Gnome/GConf.

Does it exist? Is 4.10 released now? I don't find any Debian package so does it mean it's not released upstream or Debian is late?

> Orca and Xfce have no relation together, we emit at-spi event through
> gtk/atk, so if Orca 3.2 works with at-spi it should be fine.

Ok I understand. The problem we had, is I understand, is that at-spi2 had bugs. Je don't manage to make it work properly. Anyway, once that will be fixed, if xfce is more accessible than the current gnome3... it'll be fine.

> > If I can help testing, don't hesitate, I'm ready to try. I'm working on
> > xfce with orca to see how I can work. But didn't find any solution so
> > far.
>
> Well we'd like to know every part that is not accessible (that is not
> in the wiki). Joanie already did some testing for that.

Ok good. I'll follow the evolution of this interesting project.

Best regards,