[Xfc-dev] Status of Xfc

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Nov 27 18:52:38 CET 2006

Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Xavier Otazu wrote:
>
>> Xfc IS a really GOOD piece of work !!! I've been working with it, and
>> its structure and efficiency is much better than other GTK-based
>> libraries.
 >
> That is my impression too. I will try to develop a small utility for it
> and see how it compare to Gtkmm, but I like to know if it is possible to
> apply updates and changes.
>
>> The only developer and maintainer of XFC is Jeff Franks. As Sylvain
>> told, he is missing from many time ago. Many time ago he and the
>> present xfce 4.4 developers told that XFC would be released with the
>> Xfce 4.4 version. If some days after this inminent release, Jeff Franks
>> does not respond, I would consider XFC as an abandoned project.
 >
> Have anyone thought about taking over, until Jeff returns or could a few
> of us do this together (would be nice with a trac/svn frontend) ?
>
>> Anyway, I think that other developers may take this project and
>> continue to work with it. It is a real GOOD piece of work.
> That would be a good idea, and it is nice to see it together with the
> Xfce system.

xfc is currently hosted on the xfce server, so SVN is already setup and available for
people who want to maintain and develop it.

Currently nobody has volunteered to do this, but I and other Xfce developers will apply
your patches to the xfc SVN tree if requested - so feel free to start working on it and
send patches to this list.

trac has a bad track record and nearly crashed the xfce server twice, so we don't allow
it on the Xfce server. It's not really needed anyway - we already have bugzilla and Xfc
should be on there (me or kelnos needs to add it there).

In short: you do the work, we get you the resources you need. Even though Jeff formerly
"owned" the project, that does not mean that we can't change it ;)

Auke