[Thunar-dev] Removal of the location button

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Nov 7 14:16:01 CET 2011

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:09:39 +0100
Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 07.11.2011 13:11, schrieb Harald Judt:
>
> > What's more, sometimes reloading does not even work. I experienced
> > this using network shares (CIFS mounts). Only closing and opening
> > thunar helps here, looks like thunar caches the file size somehow,
> > and the cache is not invalidated when reloading. Unfortunately, I
> > couldn't find out how to reproduce this.
>
> After thinking about this once more, could this be a gvfs bug and not
> a bug in thunar? But then, gvfs is not used for CIFS mounts, right? I
> don't know enough about how thunar handles caching files and folders
> to draw conclusions here.

Yes, it's an issue in GVfs, which handles the "smb" URI scheme. For
some schemes, GVfs does not support or implement file monitoring. This
may be due to limitations of the underlying protocols but it could as
well be missing functionality in GVfs (I'm no SMB expert, so I can't
tell). We can partially work around that by triggering automatic
folder reloads whenever something changes within in Thunar. But as soon
as folders or files are modified by other applications, things will get
out of sync, unfortunately.

> I also noticed that thumbnails are not regenerated immediately when a
> custom script changes a file, e.g. rotates the image. Instead, a
> generic JPEG icon is shown until one scrolls up or down so that the
> icon disappears and reappears, or goes back and forward in history.
>
> Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

That could well be. Can you file a bug so we don't forget about this?

  - Jannis