[Thunar-dev] Removal of the location button

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Nov 7 14:40:43 CET 2011

Am 07.11.2011 14:16, schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:09:39 +0100
> Harald Judt<h.judt at gmx.at>  wrote:
>
>> Am 07.11.2011 13:11, schrieb Harald Judt:
>>
>>> What's more, sometimes reloading does not even work. I experienced
>>> this using network shares (CIFS mounts). Only closing and opening
>>> thunar helps here, looks like thunar caches the file size somehow,
>>> and the cache is not invalidated when reloading. Unfortunately, I
>>> couldn't find out how to reproduce this.
>>
>> After thinking about this once more, could this be a gvfs bug and not
>> a bug in thunar? But then, gvfs is not used for CIFS mounts, right? I
>> don't know enough about how thunar handles caching files and folders
>> to draw conclusions here.
>
> Yes, it's an issue in GVfs, which handles the "smb" URI scheme. For
> some schemes, GVfs does not support or implement file monitoring. This
> may be due to limitations of the underlying protocols but it could as
> well be missing functionality in GVfs (I'm no SMB expert, so I can't
> tell). We can partially work around that by triggering automatic
> folder reloads whenever something changes within in Thunar. But as soon
> as folders or files are modified by other applications, things will get
> out of sync, unfortunately.

I think I caused some confusion here. I don't think it's related to gvfs
because it is mounted via fstab and I'm not using smb:// in location
bar, so it's mounted like a local filesystem - via mount command. What I
was speculating about was whether you use gvfs for the local filesystem,
too, perhaps for caching information, so then this could be an issue.
When I type ls in terminal, it shows the correct size, but in thunar
information is not updated correctly until I restart it.

>> I also noticed that thumbnails are not regenerated immediately when a
>> custom script changes a file, e.g. rotates the image. Instead, a
>> generic JPEG icon is shown until one scrolls up or down so that the
>> icon disappears and reappears, or goes back and forward in history.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?
>
> That could well be. Can you file a bug so we don't forget about this?

In fact, I can do so, and I can even provide a test case for this.
Sometimes the old thumbnail will be used, as if the change had not been
detected. I thought about proposing thunar should reload the folder
automatically after a custom action has been performed. Unfortunately,
it seems reloading the folder does not really reload anything here.
Additionally, this won't fix reloading when someone changes the file in
a terminal.

Does not tumbler have its own caching mechanism too? Maybe then tumbler
is at fault, not thunar? How could I test this, or how could one force
tumbler to regenerate its cache?

(I think I'm getting off-topic now, sorry for that.)

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'