[Thunar-dev] "Ejecting" USB flash drives

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Wed Feb 23 19:52:39 CET 2011

Am 23.02.2011 18:11, schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:05:55 +0100
> Yves-Alexis Perez<corsac at debian.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 17:57 +0100, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>>> But why do you need to unmount at all then? Just eject once you now
>>> longer intend to have the device connected to your machine.
>>
>> Because I don't want to keep stuff mounted when I don't need it.
>
> So you're umounting simply because you *can*? So by removing that
> option we actually save you a lot of time because you no longer have a
> way to pursue your weird habbit of unmounting things all the time.
> Isn't that a good thing? :P
>
> I don't know how a device still mounted could be considered bad (or
> distracting) other than for reasons of power management (but there eject
> helps).

First, I like the idea that there is only one option for
unmount/detaching/ejecting/whatever-you-call-it a device. I agree that
it is simplier to understand. However, 'ejecting' for me also has a
connotation of concerning hardware and physical manipulation which in
this case seems a bit inappropriate. Never mind, the semantics are not
that important here.

I can imagine one reason why still showing the device after ejecting it
might be useful: You won't guess how many people forget their USB flash
drives (no, that gladly did not happen to me). If they still see it
attached, they might be more alert not to forget.

 >> Because I don't want to keep stuff mounted when I don't need it.

It is the same with me. Additionally, I can be sure that everything has
been written to disk when I unmount it, so the filesystem won't get
corrupt in case of troubles. Just a matter of habit. And I like to see
what is still (physically) attached to the computer.

These issues put aside, what would make everyone happy would be gio
reporting the 'ejectable' capability correctly so that thunar doesn't
try to eject the device if "ejectable" is false. Assuming that this is
indeed the problem like you stated in a previous mail. I will
investigate further why this doesn't work correctly and would of course
greatly appreciate your help.

Finally, I like the new eject icon. It is clear and saves you a click
and the delay of reading a menu entry.

Regards,
Harald

--