[Thunar-dev] Thunar update

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jun 21 03:23:14 CEST 2009

Hey,

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:07:41 +0200
"Kurt J. Bosch" <kjb-temp-2006 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Very very nice ! Thank you for all the work !
> ... and here comes a PKGBUILD for the ArchLinux guys:
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27451 :)

Cool.

> So far I noticed some (more or less) minor problems:
> - When viewing smb://boxname I can not drag one of the shares to the
> tree side pane. It says 'does not refer to a directory'

Yes, that's actually a design decision. Only directories may be
bookmarked. The problem with remote directories is that you don't know
whether they are directories or not before they are mounted/connected.
So if we allowed remote directories we'd also allow remote files. And
you clearly don't want remote locations to be mounted unless you
actually *browse* them (just imagine you have ten different SFTP or
FTP bookmarks and whenever you start Thunar, you end up with up to ten
established network connections).

The solution could be to separate personal stuff (home, desktop, trash),
network stuff (network://, custom network bookmarks), local
bookmarks and devices/volumes. I have something like this in mind,
inspired by
http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/clutter-in-nautilus-sidebar/. It has
less priority for now, but I'll work on it when the more essential
stuff is working properly.

> - When viewing smb://boxname/someshare I can not navigate up. The
> button is grayed out.

Yep. That's because GVfs pretends that all of these directories are
roots. I should be able to work around that (if an URI points to
"smb://foo/bar" we can almost always assume that "smb://foo" is the
parent).

> - The Tango folder icons are not used for the local filesystem but
> for ftp and smb they are.

That's strange. I use whatever I get from GIO, so that might be a bug
in there. Can you call "gvfs-info <URI>" on an ftp directory and
on a local one and post the output of those two commands?

> - Umlauts within file names on FTP (fritz.box) are wrong or invalid
> because ISO-8859-1 is used there but GVFS seems to use UTF-8.
> (Verified this with Firefox and curl/iconv and via cifs. - Firefox ->
> Page Info reports charset windows-1252.)

I'll try to reproduce that with my FTP server.

> - When doing Create Document -> Empty File on FTP a refresh is needed
> to show the file created.

That's probably a bug in GVfs or maybe even a general FTP limitation,
but I'm not sure. Open directories are monitored for changes, so maybe
FTP directories don't support monitoring. I'll debug that.

Thanks for the feedback!

  - Jannis