[Thunar-dev] Fwd: thunar-actions-plugin

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Jun 9 14:11:30 CEST 2009

Pierre Wieser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the maintainer of nautilus-actions [2], the equivalent for Nautilus of the thunar-actions-plugin.
>
> I've readen in your wiki page [1] your project for a new version of the plugin, using .desktop files and mimetypes.
>
> I've considered this, but stayed stone because nautilus-actions makes use of other parameters, not actually in .dekstop specs (e.g. apply to files only, to dir only, to both). Don't you have such parameters ? Do you plan to upgrade the freedesktop.org specs ?
>
> Also, I think it could be a great improvement for users (and packagers) if they can use in thunar/nautilus actions defined for thunar-actions-plugin as well as for nautilus-actions. Do you have any opinion about this ?
>
> Regards
> Pierre
>
> [1] http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/projects/thunar-actions-plugin
> [2] http://www.nautilus-actions.org

Hi Pierre,

As the person that made the initiative to start the
thunar-actions-plugin. I have designed it to use mime type detection
that is also in the .desktop file. A directory has it one mime type, and
you can make hole list of them.

The programmer that was working on the thunar-actions-plugin has not
been very active on the coding parts after his school task was finished.
I really hope he will still catch up and fished the coding. We have an
xfce goodies account and svn setup.

I would like to cooperate on the thunar and nautilus custom action
systems, this was a goal from the start for me to make it possible to
exchange custom action with other file managers, through a free desktop
standard.

If the mime type does not work as theoretically designed, then we need
to enhance the original free desktop specs, but so far no indication for
that.

If somebody would like to help coding on the actions-plugin I would be
very thankful. It still is a long standing wish to fix the integration
of all my custom action I designed.

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong