[Thunar-dev] Fwd: thunar-actions-plugin

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Tue Jun 9 15:47:52 CEST 2009

----- "Jelle de Jong" <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> a écrit :

> As the person that made the initiative to start the
> thunar-actions-plugin. I have designed it to use mime type detection
> that is also in the .desktop file. A directory has it one mime type,
> and you can make hole list of them.

Yes, files vs. directories might not be the right example ;-)

Nonetheless, I have to carefully examine each parameter we use today
in order to try to map it to a desktop entry key, before I even plan
to define a specific group header.

Among others, the Exec key will stay as a potential problem, as
the program may be a desktop-specific one. Do you think it would
be possible to have a Exec-Xfce or Exec-Gnome in the same header ?
Or do the action author will have to write a .desktop file for
each environment ?

> I would like to cooperate on the thunar and nautilus custom action
> systems, this was a goal from the start for me to make it possible to
> exchange custom action with other file managers, through a free
> desktop standard.

For now, I'm in a bug-fixing process, and I've already some other
enhancements in my todo list.

But an idea I think could be shared with other file managers is
to add in a UI a list of action repositories, acting as web
services, from where the user could pull a published action from
one click.

I'm not yet there, but certainly the availability (?) of pre-written
actions is a great part of user experience..

If you wish so, I may keep you informed of the progress of my thoughts
of these two subjects ? Is this list the good place for this ?

Regards
Pierre