[Thunar-dev] Problem with thumbnails

Radomir Dopieralski thunar at sheep.art.pl
Fri Feb 15 20:40:02 CET 2008

Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 06:16:09PM +0100:
> Hi
>
> Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm knew to this list and
> just tried searching with google.
> When I select a big image file in thunar (like a 100-300MB tiff) the
> computer hangs. Looking at top output I see thunar-vfs-pixb... using
> more than available memory (let say 100MB).
> How can I fix this? Is it possible to set a size limit or to
> blacklist those files?
> I thought about inserting an if just after the call to fstat in
> exo_gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_max_size
> in file exo-gtk-pixbuf-extensions.c.
> Maybe a better solution is to add a parameter specifying the max file
> size to the function.
> For now I put big files in a separate directory and open them using
> the command line.

According to the thumbnail storage standard on http://freedesktop.org,
you can prevent generation of thumbnails for some files by making
matching files in the "failed" directory.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski <http://sheep.art.pl>
  Beauty is the ultimate defense against complexity. -– David Gelernter