[Thunar-dev] Problem with thumbnails

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 22:24:56 CET 2008

Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
> Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 06:16:09PM +0100:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm knew to this list and
>> just tried searching with google.
>> When I select a big image file in thunar (like a 100-300MB tiff) the
>> computer hangs. Looking at top output I see thunar-vfs-pixb... using
>> more than available memory (let say 100MB).
>> How can I fix this? Is it possible to set a size limit or to
>> blacklist those files?
>> I thought about inserting an if just after the call to fstat in
>> exo_gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_max_size
>> in file exo-gtk-pixbuf-extensions.c.
>> Maybe a better solution is to add a parameter specifying the max file
>> size to the function.
>> For now I put big files in a separate directory and open them using
>> the command line.
>>

> According to the thumbnail storage standard on http://freedesktop.org,
> you can prevent generation of thumbnails for some files by making
> matching files in the "failed" directory.
That is true.  It's not a real solution though - this is a bug.

The trouble with having a global size limit in Thunar is that some files
are meant to be big - like video files (where just one frame will be
extracted for the thumbnail).  The limits really have to be decided on a
case-by-case basis for each mimetype.

Erlend