[Thunar-dev] eject usb-harddrive

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xfce at tikei.de
Tue Apr 29 21:21:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:22:18 +0200, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:

[...]

> Tried "sudo eject -v /dev/wdpassport" with the output that the eject succeeded. (see the
> full output here: http://pastebin.org/32834)
> Anyhow, when I unplugged the usb-cable (that is also powering the hdd) it made this awful
> sound described in the bugreport mentioned earlier.
> So it seems "eject" simply doesn't spin down the harddrive. Should it?

>From theory, if you use eject -s, eject sends a START STOP UNIT
command, which should spin it down.

I'll try to check it myself tomorrow.

Btw., I attached an example fdi file for my card reader, to add the
requires_eject property. Maybe HAL does the right thing if you adopt it
to your hard disk and copy it to /etc/hal/fdi/policy (check with lshal
if it is really set) and then use exo-eject.

Regards,
Tino