[Thunar-dev] Some ideas :)

daitheflu at free.fr daitheflu at free.fr
Tue Feb 6 00:29:21 CET 2007

Selon Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com>:

[snip]

> > 1. Copy Manager :
> > -----------------
> >
> [ snipped the idea number 1 full text]
>
> I won't comment on this one since my use cases never deal with copying
> files. I hardly copy them...

Well, in that case, a "copy manager" won't disturb you :)
Any thought on the idea ?

> > 2. Location bar :
> > -----------------

[snip]

> I don't know if you're aware of the Ctrl+l key shortcut, it displays a
> go-to dialog where you can type locations there. Combined with the
> buton bar it is a very powerful file management interface.

Sure I know it, but I think the "vista bar" would be much more easy-to-use.
Now you have either to learn a shortcut, type it and then type the path (the
VERY good thing is the auto-completition thing).
My idea is to have something similar to the Ctrl+L shortcut in the location bar
where words would be clickable :)
Features like relative pathes and ~ are already supported which is very very
useful.

Selon David Keogh <davekeogh at shaw.ca>:

> On 2/5/07, Evgeni Golov <sargentd at die-welt.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:51:31 +0100 François K. wrote:
> >
> > > And you can click on "home","user","projects" and "thunar". Clicking
> > > on it will drop you in the directory, just like the "button system".
> >
> > Did you actually try it? Looks like it is already there:
> > http://files.die-welt.net/bilders/thunar.png
> > I can click all those buttons there ;-)
> > You can change the behavior under View -> Location Selector -> Pathbar
> > Style.
> >
> > Regards
> > Evgeni
>

> I think you misunderstood what he was describing. The location bar in Vista
> basically acts like both of Thunar's location selecters at once. If you
> click on one of the labels, it acts as a button; or if you click in empty
> space it acts as a field. Here's a screenshot that kind of demonstrates it:
> http://www.dx21.com/HOME/ARTICLES/P2P/WinV_IMAGES/Exp_AddressBar.PNG
>
> I personally think that this behaviour is kind of cool, but would be
> satisfied if Thunar copied Nautilus's behaviour. Nautilus replaces the
> buttons with a field when you press ctrl + l and then shows the button again
> when you return.
>
> David

Thanks, you understand what I'm saying. Thanks for the screenshot also.
Moreover, I think we could make it better than Nautilus with a feature like that
:)

Selon Cory Christison <cory.christison at gmail.com>:

> > http://www.dx21.com/HOME/ARTICLES/P2P/WinV_IMAGES/Exp_AddressBar.PNG
> I don't know about you... but the icon they have next to the path looks
> like it is giving me the finger.
>
>  - Cory Christison

lol, not false ;)

Well, Im done for today, hope there will be some more answers about those 2
features tomorrow.

- Fr.