[Thunar-dev] user interface ideas

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 23 17:57:42 CEST 2006

DINH Viêt Hoà wrote:

>>> maybe in pathbar mode, it could switch temporarly to location selector
>>> so that it won't raise a dialog box.
>>>

>> Hmm, that might confuse users - especially new ones - why does it do
>> this sometimes, and that other-times?  I still think using the mouse-
>> wheel is a good idea - Xfce is the first desktop environment which (
>> out of the box) makes good use of the mouse-wheel (e.g. switching
>> workspacing, rolling-up windows).  Again though there is a risk of
>> confusing users (i.e. why did the location selector just change and
>> how do I get it back?)
>>

> The problem with mouse scroll wheel is that it is not explicit on the
> interface.
>
> The temporary switch to an entry would get back to pathbar by pressed
> ESC or losing focus on it.
> I am proposing that because with the pathbar style, the main usage of
> a entry for the path would be entering a path by hand and switching
> back to pathbar. I don't know much usage for it.
> Maybe a copy-paste of the current folder but that usage is reduced to
> my opinion (that would be workarounded by an option in the right-click
> contextual menu of the pathbar).

I really like that idea - right-clicking on the pathbar and click "Copy
directory location to clipboard".  Even better (and I don't know if this
is possible) if the menuitems that custom actions add to the standard
right-click menu would also appear when you right-click menus on the
path bar (which taking "Open terminal here" as an example does make
sense) then "copy directory location to clipboard" could be implemented
as an custom action.