[Thunar-dev] translations through rosetta

stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr
Mon Jan 30 13:15:31 CET 2006

> Jani Monoses wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > As some of you may know, Rosetta is a web-based translation portal
> > making it easier for less technical people to contribute to software
> > localization. It allows a project owner to upload a set of .po files to
> > it and from that point people to translate strings using only the
> > browser. Alternately, translators used to editor based translations can
> > keep working that way and uploading the modified po files from time to
> > time. A project owner can then export from rosetta and integrate the
> > updated po files in svn.
> >
> > Would there be interest in trying to translate thunar this way?
>
> Daichi manages Thunar's translations, so it's up to him to decide. I for
> myself like the idea.

The idea is interesting, indeed, but it is painfully slow compared to the off-line specialized (and not) editors.

And then there is the question of synchronization: Rosetta is aimed at ubuntu, and there isn't any mechanism in place to notify the upstream projects about the work done there, unless they (the projects) are specifically intrested about that and check it out from time to time.

There are similar open source solutions out there, if it is going to be set up something in http://i18n.xfce.org/ , but I would definately not use it.

> > thanks
> > Jani
>
> Benedikt