[Thunar-dev] The new permission UI

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jan 9 15:35:18 CET 2006

Stefan Stuhr wrote:
>>There's a preference for that ("misc-recursive-permissions"), which
>>can
>>be either "ask" (in which case the user will be asked everytime
>>whether
>>to apply folder permissions recursively), "always" and "never". The
>>default is "ask", so the first time you change permissions of a
>>folder,
>>you'll definitely be asked what to do, and so it's again up to the
>>user
>>to mess it up (you can always reset your choice using the preferences
>>dialog).
>
> That's fine, though I think it lacks a way to set recursive permissions
> separately for files and directories.

That can be done as a plugin (or by using a script with the thunar-uca
plugin). The common case is to apply a change to both files and
directories (i.e. making a dir tree writable for group 'xyz', or
removing all permissions for others on a dir tree, etc.).

> I don't think there should be a
> "Do _not ask me again" check box in the question dialog, it makes it too
> easy for not so advanced users to mess it up. I think it's best if that
> option only is in the Preferences dialog.

Indeed. But on the other hand, it's annoying to have that dialog popup
everytime you change folder permissions, and you'll need to read the
documentation first just to figure out how to stop that annoying dialog
from popping up.

> Stefan

greets,