[Thunar-dev] The new permission UI

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jan 8 23:01:01 CET 2006

Stefan Stuhr wrote:
>>You mean like http://blogs.gnome.org/view/cneumair/2005/12/28/0 ?
>
> There is something missing from that example - hov do I set advanced
> permissions for a directory, without doing it recursively?
>
> See my Glade mockup for how I think it should be:
> http://www.sstuhr.dk/permission-mockup.png
>
> Maybe there should be some information text, and some way to set GID,
> UID and sticky recursively.
>
> The "List folder contents" texts in the tree should of course
> automatically change to "Execute" when people set "Apply for" to
> "Files". I don't know what it should change to, when people set "Apply
> for" to "Both" (maybe "Whole Contents" like in [1] is better than
> "Both").

Ok, ditched the ACL aware permissions editor for now (Thunar 1.0 won't
include ACL support either), and replaced it with a simplified, Aqua
Finder-like one, which supports recursive permissions (based on a
suggestion found in the Ubuntu wishlist for Nautilus).

http://www.foo-projects.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-permissions-chooser-20060108.png

> Stefan

HTH,