[Thunar-dev] The new permission UI

Stefan Stuhr thunardevlist at sstuhr.dk
Sun Jan 8 23:19:08 CET 2006

søn, 08 01 2006 kl. 23:01 +0100, skrev Benedikt Meurer:
> Ok, ditched the ACL aware permissions editor for now (Thunar 1.0 won't
> include ACL support either), and replaced it with a simplified, Aqua
> Finder-like one, which supports recursive permissions (based on a
> suggestion found in the Ubuntu wishlist for Nautilus).
>
> http://www.foo-projects.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-permissions-chooser-20060108.png

That's certainly more simple. The "Allow this file to _run as a program"
check box, does it set the Execute permission only for the owner?
Also, I don't see any UI for setting recursive permissions. Do you mean
that it do recursive permissions by default, when setting permissions
for directories? If yes, are you sure that is wise?

Also, maybe the Advanced button/dialog should still be used, for setting
GID, UID and sticky, and possible for setting execute for directories
and group and others. If implemented in the right way, it may minimize
the amount of complaints from advanced users, while still being simple
for not so advanced users.

> HTH,
> Benedikt

Stefan