[Thunar-dev] thunar.xfce.org and IE / IE7

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Mon Feb 13 13:35:22 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:54:44 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Could it be that IE relies entirely on server provided mime
> > > information? I guess that would be acceptable even if FF has
> > > additional magic to back this up. I wouldn't be surprised though
> > > if the server already provides correct mime information but IE
> > > botches it up.
> > >
> > > IE might also choke on the multiple content type declarations in
> > > the page header, but I rather doubt it. Anyway, it wouldn't do
> > > any harm to use .xml or .html as the extension (and/or remove the
> > > extra content type declaration). Not that I personally care about
> > > IE or even see myself using it in the foreseeable future.
> >
> > Maybe Auke could add the work-around to httpd.conf, as IIRC Nick's
> > new Xfce website also uses .xhtml extensions.
>

> The new website is  XHTML complait, but does not use the xhtml
> extension (no
>
> extensions at all ^_^, thanks to the mod_rewrite).
> Just change all page extensions and links to .html or .htm and to
> problem is gone.

There basically are two possible reasons for the IE to have problems
with XHTML:

  1. .xhtml extension. This should not be necessary as we use XHTML 1.0
     (don't we?), which can be delivered with .html.
  2. If sites are delivered with something else than text/html (e.g.
     application/xhtml+xml). If you're using XHTML 1.0, be sure to
     deliver text/html.

> And Yes we care about IE, since 80% of the internet users use IE so
> you just can't ignore it.

Well, 80% is quite irritating here. With Xfce, we're targeting UNIX
like operating systems and, as we all know, IE isn't used very often on
those platforms. Nonetheless, if we do want to convert Windows users to
Linux, we of course have to concern building a website working in IE.

But I guess, most people who *would* concern using Linux are already
using alternative software (like Opera or Firefox).

In any way, building browser-independent websites should have high
priority.

Regards,
Jannis