[Thunar-dev] thunar.xfce.org and IE / IE7

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:54:44 CET 2006

2006/2/13, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>:

> Jari Rahkonen wrote:
> >>I booted into XP the other day to try out Internet Explorer 7. Here's
> >>the results:
> >>http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/ie_still_sucks.PNG
> >>Exactly the same thing that IE6 did. Is this a good thing, a bad thing,
> >>or just funny?
> >>I have a feeling that the file extension is throwing it off, but the
> >>bigger question is whether or not we care.
> >
> > Could it be that IE relies entirely on server provided mime information?
> > I guess that would be acceptable even if FF has additional magic to back
> > this up. I wouldn't be surprised though if the server already provides
> > correct mime information but IE botches it up.
> >
> > IE might also choke on the multiple content type declarations in the
> > page header, but I rather doubt it. Anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to
> > use .xml or .html as the extension (and/or remove the extra content type
> > declaration). Not that I personally care about IE or even see myself
> > using it in the foreseeable future.
>
> Maybe Auke could add the work-around to httpd.conf, as IIRC Nick's new
> Xfce website also uses .xhtml extensions.

The new website is  XHTML complait, but does not use the xhtml extension (no

extensions at all ^_^, thanks to the mod_rewrite).
Just change all page extensions and links to .html or .htm and to problem is
gone.

And Yes we care about IE, since 80% of the internet users use IE so you just
can't ignore it.

Nick