[Thunar-dev] thunar.xfce.org and IE / IE7

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:00:36 CET 2006

Jari Rahkonen wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>

>>I booted into XP the other day to try out Internet Explorer 7. Here's
>>the results:
>>http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/ie_still_sucks.PNG
>>Exactly the same thing that IE6 did. Is this a good thing, a bad thing,
>>or just funny?
>>I have a feeling that the file extension is throwing it off, but the
>>bigger question is whether or not we care.
>>

>Could it be that IE relies entirely on server provided mime information?
>I guess that would be acceptable even if FF has additional magic to back
>this up. I wouldn't be surprised though if the server already provides
>correct mime information but IE botches it up.

I've read that IE ignores it entirely.  Part of the definition of a web
browser is that it uses the Content-Type:, then guessing.  IE almost
always guesses.  This is why badly configured websites sometimes make
Firefox download a file instead of running a plugin.  I found this out
while reading an article about IE's invisible cache folder.  Even when
you delete your IE cache, it's still resident in this folder.  Who would
be interested in that, I wonder?

>IE might also choke on the multiple content type declarations in the
>page header, but I rather doubt it. Anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to
>use .xml or .html as the extension (and/or remove the extra content type
>declaration). Not that I personally care about IE or even see myself
>using it in the foreseeable future.

Again, IE could care less about the Content-type header.