[Thunar-dev] Enhancement with trash

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Fri Dec 8 09:04:15 CET 2006

Bob Snyder wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
>> Well, I think the bike-shed should be blue! [1]
>>
>> Seriously, it's a GUI.  The idea of a GUI is to make things easier
>> on the user, not to complicate the interface with confusing options.
>>  That's not saying configurability isn't good, but requiring a
>> preference because hitting shift+del is too much extra work for you
>> over just del is pretty silly.  (Though, Thunar's accelerators might
>> be customisable already, so...)
>>
>> If you want to be a power user and delete things like crazy, open a
>> terminal window.
>>
>> Maybe I like red better, though...
>>
>> 	-brian
>>

> Your point is well taken, but saying shift+del is just as easy is a bit
> misleading. There is no shift+del option in the edit menu, nor is there
> one in the right click context menu. One is forced to use the keyboard
> to perform a delete.

If you hold shift when you click on 'delete' in any menu, the file gets
deleted...

In windows, very few users knows that (s)he can use shift-delete to
directly delete files. If they want to delete a file, they will delete
them, then empty the thrashbin to permanently delete them.

This is the preferred action and needed for consistency. If you don't
want to use the thrashbin, I believe Thunar can be built without support
for it...
> Yes, the idea of the gui is to make things easier on the user. One way
> it does that is to allow many actions to be performed with the mouse.

-H-