[Thunar-dev] Enhancement with trash

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 11:33:16 CET 2006

Bob Snyder wrote:
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>> anthony viallard wrote:
>>

>>> yes i know but an option likes that will permit to use only the key
>>> "delete"...
>>>

>> that would mean delete action can vary between different computers and
>> surprise users. Unlike mapping other shortcuts like window max/min etc,
>> getting this wrong can be a lot costlier.
>>

> If the option were set by default to move a file to the trash, and a
> user was required to change the option to activate immediate removal on
> delete, how would it be surprising to that user that the file is gone?
>
> Frankly, I find it surprising that a desktop environment which claims to
> support the Unix philosophy (and generally succeeds imo), doesn't
> provide the user with a way to obtain the Unix style rm command action.
I think a means of keeping everyone happy here would be to enable
keyboard shortcuts for thunar user-customisable-actions.

This would be nice in general, because instead of right-click open
terminal I could just use the keyboard to get a term window.  In the
context of this problem, the user (or administrator) could get a
customisable action that just calls the rm command and link this to a
keyboard shortcut, say Ctrl+R.  This way the behaviour of the delete key
is not different across machines.