[Thunar-dev] Network access in thunar?

David Tenser djst.mozilla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 19:52:36 CEST 2006

On 8/12/06, Danny Milosavljevic <danny.milo at scratchpost.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:58:16 -0500, Ori Bernstein wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:31:33 +0200, "David Tenser"
> > <djst.mozilla at gmail.com
> > > said:
> >
> >> On 8/5/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, even if Thunar eventually gets samba (omitting ssh) support,
> >> it's not very useful unless other applications, such as the media
> >> player, can handle the URIs.
>
> BLAH. The thing to fix that properly is called a "mount".

> I'm so tired of everone and their brother inventing yet another VFS layer
> for no good reason (other that "I'm too lazy to fix the other one" - you
> know, the one in the kernel).

If you ask my mom (just as an example, not that she knows anything about
what we're discussing here), it's not an issue about laziness. Editing
/etc/fstab is hard. Putting the password directly in that file is also
insecure. Browsing the network in Windows with Explorer is easy. You just
click away and if prompted, enter a password. Any file you click on will
work in any application you throw the file at. I ask: wouldn't that be nice
to have in Linux/Xfce?

If Xfce could somehow automatically mount network shares as you browse
through them, that would of course work. I'm more interested in the
usability aspect than the technical details.