[Thunar-dev] Network access in thunar?

Danny Milosavljevic danny.milo at scratchpost.org
Sat Aug 12 15:07:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:58:16 -0500, Ori Bernstein wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:31:33 +0200, "David Tenser"
> <djst.mozilla at gmail.com
> > said:
>
>> On 8/5/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
>> wrote:
>
>> Of course, even if Thunar eventually gets samba (omitting ssh) support,
>> it's not very useful unless other applications, such as the media
>> player, can handle the URIs.

BLAH. The thing to fix that properly is called a "mount".

I'm so tired of everone and their brother inventing yet another VFS layer
for no good reason (other that "I'm too lazy to fix the other one" - you
know, the one in the kernel).

I know you know but I said it just so that this thread has that fact in it.

> I'm wondering whether, instead of using various VFS-ish backends,
> Thunar could just add support for FUSE mounts or similar.

YES please.

> I haven't
> really looked into it deeply, but I think this would fix the issues
> mentioned: all the files would be accessible by all applications, and it
> would provide a single interface to all the various filesystems.

Yeah. There is only one remaining disadvantage, which is that not all
remote filesystems are posix compliant. But the advantages FAR outweigh
that for me.

I have sshfs, curlftpfs, ... and you know what? I actually can use my
computer to automate things (like uploading to ftp, backing up) now. Shell
scripts work (and I mean without weird commands in them). Great. Finally I
have some time to do useful things :)

cheers,
  Danny