[Thunar-dev] Compact List View problem

Matt McClinch mattmcclinch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 05:39:52 CEST 2006

mcquaid mcquaid wrote:

> I always use detailed list view and have a problem with the last
> column seemingly randomly getting lengthened and then the hor. scroll
> bar appears which I do want when I have thunar maximized.  I hope this
> patch wouldn't make the scroll always on in details (I doubt it).

Nope, it only affects Compact List View.

> But I mention this as I'm curious if these quirks in libexo are also
> responsible for the continuing reappearance of the hor. scroll bar in
> details view.

I don't think so.  Details View only uses libexo for adding single-click
mode capability to a GtkTreeView.  I'm guessing GTK+ is responsible.

By the way, it is very easy to reproduce the problem I was talking about.
1. Make sure the thunar window is a good deal smaller than it would be
if it were maximized.
2. Choose "View as Compact List".
3. Navigate to a directory that contains a lot of files.  The thunar
directory in the thunar code base is a good example.
4. Maximize the thunar window.
5. Unmaximize the thunar window.
At this point, the main view window will have miscalculated its own
size, which will cause it not to display files near the end of the list.

I can think of a couple reasons why the solution I proposed is not
ideal, but it is probably the simplest way to get rid of the problem.
Of course, a good clean solution in libexo would still be preferable.

Matt McClinch