[Thunar-dev] Compact List View problem

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Aug 4 14:27:06 CEST 2006

Matt McClinch wrote:
> Hi Benedikt,

Hey Matt,

> The current workaround for the quirk where GTK+ continually tries to
> hide and then display the scrollbar allows for some pretty wacky
> behavior in Compact List View.  For example, it is possible to resize
> the window in such a way that:
> 1) it becomes impossible to scroll to certain files,
> http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mmcclinc/layout-problem1.png
> 2) you can navigate to certain files, but they won't be displayed, or
> http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mmcclinc/layout-problem2.png
> 3) you can scroll past the last column of files, leaving a blank window.
> http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mmcclinc/layout-problem3.png
>
> Therefore, I propose that the horizontal scrollbar in Compact List View
> always be visible, whether it is necessary or not.  That would allow you
> to get rid of the quirky workaround in libexo.  I have attached patches
> for thunar and libexo that do this.

The problem of endless relayouting is also present in the Icon View, so
we'd need to also add an always visible scrollbar there. But IMHO that's
not really desired. Maybe you can come up with a real fix for the
problem? I've looked around for a solution back when added the
work-around, but there was not really a suitable solution.