[Thunar-dev] Unification of Treeview and Sidepanel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu May 12 16:52:12 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:23:31PM +0200, Foxtrot wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Brian <brian-schott at cox.net> wrote:
> > Ori Bernstein wrote:
> >

> > >AAAHHH!!! What is wrong with me??
> > >THIS time it's the right patch...
> > >
> > Heh. I've got you beat there. Sending the wrong patch twice doesn't
> > compare to this:
> > http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/DSCF2314.JPG
> > Put heavy things on the floor, put laptops on the desk. Not the other
> > way around.
> >
> > I had to get rid of the "except e: print e" section in
> > ThunarTreePane.py, but after that, it worked. This is an interesting
> > idea. The problem I see with it is that when using the tree view to go
> > to nested directories, the shortcuts aren't visable. You have to scroll
> > to get them.
> >
> > We could try putting a gtk_vpaned inside the side window and split it
> > between the shortcuts and the tree view. May get a bit cluttered though.
> >
> > Screenshots:
> > http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/TreeAndShortcut.png
> > http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/TreeAndShortcut2.png
> >

> I would be all for this if the treeviews in Linux weren't so ugly.
> They are ugly in Windows too, for that matter, but more so in Linux.
> Whenever I see treeviews in apps, I get annoyed by them.

Ok, guys, I don't think the next step in thunar development should be more
mockups of the GUI. One comment on that: the goal is to make a 'simple' file
manager; this doesn't mean complete lack of features, it mostly means no user
interface overload. Combining trees and shortcuts in one view sounds like xffm
to me, we already have that and that is not the goal. Keyboard shortcuts to
switch between shortcut and treeview will hopefully be enough to satisfy the
power users among us.

Now, the way forward, IMO, is for one or more people to try and implement
backend code based on the interaction diagram created by benny. We (you?
they?) should aim at creating the minimal features necessary for a file
manager (listing files, copying/moving, mime types/program launching). It is
easy to add features later, it is very hard to remove anything once people are
using your program.

I know both Brian (kelnos) and Erik (no short nick worth mentioning ;-) were
thinking about starting to code on thunar soon. It's probably hard to
coordinate things, especially without benny, but for people who are interested
in writing some code for thunar, let's try and keep this list informed about
what you intend to work on.

	Jasper