[Thunar-dev] Unification of Treeview and Sidepanel

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Thu May 12 04:42:40 CEST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:14:13 -0400
Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com> said:

> I can't get the patch to load, but yeah, the vpane sucks

Agree.

> If we really wanted to unify the two we could do an Outlook type UI -
> I think Evolution does it to. Lemme rummage for  a screenshot.
>
> http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Microsoft_Office/Outlook_2002/Client/Outlook--Outlook_Today.shtml

Hm. Maybe. However, it seems to me like there's a sort of artificial
segregation of shortcuts in that screenshot.

The main idea behind my patch was that the treeview had a set of arbitrarily
chosen roots (home, filesystem, mounts), but had no way of adding to this set
of arbitrary data - I'd often want to drill down directly to, say, my ~/
stuff/coding/ directory and show a tree rooted there, for example.

On the other hand, the bookmarks panel allows a user to jump to (for example) ~/
stuff/ coding directly, but it doesn't let the user view and switch betwen
subdirectories of that quickly/easily.

At the very least, I think that the tree view should use the filesystem
bookmarks as the roots of the tree, rather than some arbitrary locations,
based on the idea that a user would want to see subdirectories of their
favorites most commonly.

--
Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.
		-- Ed Howe