[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:19:13 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:33:18 +0100, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> >>  * How to associated this visually with the main view?
> >
> > Eliminate the frame border between the view and teh bar, just like with FF
>
> In Firefox, it does not appear as a separate bar (to the user), but more
> as an integrated part of the main view. Is that what you mean?

Yes

> >>  * What about different themes?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean
>
> It should look good no matter which seem you selected (you need to be
> carefull which widgets you use).
>
> >>  * What about the close button?
> >
> > I think it's pretty unambiguous myself
>
> Hmhm.
>
> >>  * What about a11y? E.g. people with motoric disabilities may run into
> >>trouble with the focus-out handling.
> >
> > Not sure this is an issue. People with strong problems here (like
> > parkinsons) use other physical interfaces to the machine, and people
> > with mild problems shouldn't see  a large problem. In fact, they
> > benefit most from strong keyboard driven interfaces. Hit control + L
> > to open the location bar, which recieves focus immediately, and type
> > your path.
>
> But if it's not accessible, doesn't that make a "wow-effect" feature only?

I think it is accessible. If it's fully keyboardable, then all should
be well. Unless you mean having a magic kind of "move to this path
after I click outside the box"  behaviour. I would agree with you that
that doesn't work.  Just add a go button instead

> greets,
> Benedikt

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik