[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Corsac corsac at corsac.net
Sun Mar 20 11:07:31 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 09:28 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> The main thing for the in-window-firefox-like entry (we need a good name
> for that ;-), besides that it looks cool, is that you can show the
> autocompleted directory in the view window 'real-time' -- see what rox
> does. This will be much less obvious with a separate dialog.

The "realtime" could be a great feature when you want this behaviour,
but I think it's too much automatism. I mean the main view (and the tree
view if selected in side pane) should only change when you validate your
path, I think.

> The main disadvantage is that it is less obvious how to get rid of and
> less obvious when changs will take effect (on ENTER? on focus-out?).
>
> Personally I really like the in-window entry and would like to try and
> see if we can make it work.

I'd prefer the in-window entry too but, wait. I think If ppl want a
location bar, they will activate it permanently. The ^L shortcut is for
those who dont want the location bar but need it from times to times.
For those, maybe the window is better. They wont be bothered by the
window, because it's only from time to time, and when they'll want to
use the location bar, it will popup, so no possibility to dont see it :)

--
Corsac
http://www.corsac.net