[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Mar 20 09:28:27 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jari Rahkonen wrote:
>
>>> Btw: I'm still open for the separate 'Open Location' dialog idea.
>>> This would offer atleast one advantage: User's know how to handle
>>> (and get rid of dialogs).
>>>
>> True. I actually like the way this works in gtk-filechooser.
>

> The location bar on the bottom looks somewhat cool; but I think the
> better way - speaking of consistency - would be to use a separate open
> location dialog. I'm also thinking about a11y here, as that seems to be
> a problem with the hide on focus-out, etc.
>
> Can we perhaps collect the arguments contra the separate dialog? That'd
> make it easier to decide.

The main thing for the in-window-firefox-like entry (we need a good name
for that ;-), besides that it looks cool, is that you can show the
autocompleted directory in the view window 'real-time' -- see what rox
does. This will be much less obvious with a separate dialog.

The main disadvantage is that it is less obvious how to get rid of and
less obvious when changs will take effect (on ENTER? on focus-out?).

Personally I really like the in-window entry and would like to try and
see if we can make it work.

	Jasper