[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 17 21:52:56 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>>I still very much prefer the path buttons to be the default (providing
>>history and quick access to parent directories) with a Ctrl-L shortcut
>>to a location bar with completion capabilities.
>>
>>The Ctrl-L sortcut should solve most of the complaints of people wanting
>>a location bar, wouldn't it? The only problem is that it is much less
>>visible and discoverable (is that a word?).
>
> Ok, to clarify my position, I do have sympathy for Adam's thought that it
> would be nice to distinguish our file manager from whatever else is out there
> and to me the use of the path buttons sounds like something that is worth
> trying. It improves consistency with other gtk apps because it reuses concepts
> of the gtk file chooser. The UI without the toolbar is also rather uncluttered
> and obvious, which are both important properties for a 'simple' file manager
> IMO.

I agree with you here. Atleast two toolbars (by default) are too much
clutter for a simple file manager and it takes way too much screen space.

So can we agree that we'll focus on the path bar approach with the Open
Location dialog for people that want to enter URIs directly, and drop
the location bar approach for now (we can add a separate location bar
layout later if it's really necessary)?

> 	Jasper

greets,