[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails

Yo'av Moshe bjesus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:37:15 CEST 2005

I've been pretty quiet but I've read all of the discussion and tend to
disagree with some.

I think thumbnails are important. It is a powerful way to identify the
file, without opening it. It's not only used when going over an images
folder, but also at the every-day every-folder time, when there's a
picture at whatever folder - it's always good to know what it is.

Nowadays most of our pictures' file name says nothing - DSC1435.jpg,
pic0034.jpg, etc'. Thumbnails are the only way to really know what
file are you dealing with, since the *Image* is the *File*.

I believe that Nautilus does it close to prefect actually. No, there's
no need for thumbnails at the list-view. But yes, on normal view, you
should understand what image is it that you're messing with.

As for movies and text files - I tend to like it, but it's more of an
eye-candy than a useful feature, mostly because usually the file name
can say much more about the content of the file.

Yo'av.