[Thunar-dev] greetings

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Tue Jun 28 21:16:22 CEST 2005

Greetings,

Just a mail to let you know I'm new on this list. I noticed the thunar web page because I was googling for "rox fork". For the last year I've been using xfce4 as my desktop of choice combined with rox as filemanager (which I used with openbox before I came to xfce). I've been on the rox mailing lists for quite a while and was considering to fork rox because many of my feature request went unanswered. I now believe that maybe I should put my energy in supporting thunar development.

The funny thing is that considering possible layouts for a file manager I came to think that it should be the same as the "new" gtk file selection dialogue - guess my great joy when I saw the screenshots with proposals for the thunar interface layout :)

Anyway, I have two questions, one pratical and one open:

First I would like to know if there is a repository of any sources being worked on, the daily CVS snapshot dir linked from the wiki is very empty. Or is the project still completely pre-alfa ?

Secondly I would like to offer some of my spare time to invest in this project. I do now a bit of gtk and a bit of C and C++, but I must admit that I'm more of a perl programmer. One example of something I wrote are the perl bindings for the freedesktop mime database (because I wanted my scripts to cooperate with rox), look for the "File::MimeInfo" module on CPAN. Anyway, if there are sources and a TODO list I'll just start hacking and I'll see how far I get. Of course the open questions is, are there any other suggestions regarding how I could make myself useful for this project?

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

-- Jaap <pardus at cpan.org>