[Thunar-dev] greetings

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jun 28 21:25:18 CEST 2005

Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First I would like to know if there is a repository of any sources being worked on, the daily CVS snapshot dir linked from the wiki is very empty. Or is the project still completely pre-alfa ?

It's very, very pre-alpha (I'd say there's no greek letter to describe
the current state). :-)

The repository isn't available to the public, yet. I upload snapshots to

  http://thunar.xfce.org/download/snapshots/devel/

whenever there's something that actually compiles and doesn't crash
right away.

> Secondly I would like to offer some of my spare time to invest in this project. I do now a bit of gtk and a bit of C and C++, but I must admit that I'm more of a perl programmer. One example of something I wrote are the perl bindings for the freedesktop mime database (because I wanted my scripts to cooperate with rox), look for the "File::MimeInfo" module on CPAN. Anyway, if there are sources and a TODO list I'll just start hacking and I'll see how far I get. Of course the open questions is, are there any other suggestions regarding how I could make myself useful for this project?

The snapshots contain a TODO file and Xfce's bugzilla contains a number
of open issues for Thunar. This would be the place to start. In
addition, I posted a list of tasks some time ago:

http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/thunar-dev/2005-June/000644.html

I've been working on a document for starters

  http://thunar.xfce.org/download/HackingOnThunar-20050628.pdf

but it's not very complete yet, as I didn't have much spare time lately.

You don't need to be a C guru to hack on Thunar, but you should be
familar with the internals of GObject and Gtk+, and OO in general.

> Cheers!
> -- Jaap <pardus at cpan.org>

greets,