[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Mon Feb 21 22:39:37 CET 2005

After some talk on IRC with some of you, I have been thinking about the
possibility to use a spatial user interface for Thunar.

My initial intention was to use a browser-like user interface for
Thunar, basicly because I always thought the browser-like UI would be
somewhat easier and more intuitive. But it turned that this myth was
solely based on my ignorance, and not any real experience. So, in the
end, I realized for myself, that it wasn't the file manager that caused
trouble, but it was my mind that caused the problem.

And thats exactly the problem. Fixing software is easy, but fixing
peoples minds is a hard job (probably impossible).

So, what do you think:

(a) Better for Xfce to ship an old-school file manager to make existing
users happy.
(b) Better have a simple file manager to attract new users, but probably
frustrate existing users.

I collected some thoughts already:
http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/ui:spatial

The spatial prototype is available from CVS, if you don't have CVS, a
recent snapshot is available from
http://www.xfce.org/~benny/trials/thunar-spatial-20050221-2.tar.gz
(IconView is only available with latest libexo-0.3 from SubVersion
repository).

Jasper suggested to do a poll and ask existing Xfce users.

Opinions?

greets,

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/

           (__)