[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 22 00:57:40 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> After some talk on IRC with some of you, I have been thinking about
> the possibility to use a spatial user interface for Thunar.
>
> My initial intention was to use a browser-like user interface for
> Thunar, basicly because I always thought the browser-like UI would be
> somewhat easier and more intuitive. But it turned that this myth was
> solely based on my ignorance, and not any real experience. So, in the
> end, I realized for myself, that it wasn't the file manager that
> caused trouble, but it was my mind that caused the problem.
>
> And thats exactly the problem. Fixing software is easy, but fixing
> peoples minds is a hard job (probably impossible).
>
> So, what do you think:
>
> (a) Better for Xfce to ship an old-school file manager to make
> existing users happy.
> (b) Better have a simple file manager to attract new users, but
> probably frustrate existing users.

As an existing user, I suppose it's obvious that I'd be an advocate for (a).

/me takes a deep breath and dives in

I just did a bit of reading on spatial interfaces, because I realised
that I didn't really have a good definition in my head as to what it
really means to have a spatial interface. In the most abstract sense,
the idea is to create an interface which maps objects on screen to
objects on disk in a one-to-one relationship. For a file manager, that
means that you have a directory, and you have a window that maps to it.
Sure, why not.

Now, my impression is just that a spatial file manager is just a
navigational file manager, but without a treeview, and with
per-directory settings that describe how each window is displayed on
screen. Also, you have a distinct window for each folder, so you get the
impression that moving around in your directory structure actually means
you are moving to a new item, not that you're looking down on something
and making it show you different views.

Another way to look at it is that the window IS the folder. Whereas,
with a navigational file manager, the window is an application shell
that provides views of different locations on the filesystem.

So is it fair to say that I have a pretty accurate picture in my head of
exactly what we want to implement here?

Supposedly, a spatial file manager is more intuitive because it provides
a one-to-one relationship between the GUI objects and your storage. I
think this only really matters if your goal is to create a desktop
environment where you can do everything from the GUI, and not need a
shell (or other tools that "break" the metaphor) at all. IMHO, Xfce is
not a DE where that's the case, and I don't think that's really the
goal. I'm not saying that that makes Xfce harder to use, or that the
goal isn't ease-of-use, but I think it's pretty fair to say that Xfce
isn't going to provide the "complete solution" for the desktop. And,
because of that, I think pushing the spatial metaphor in Xfce's file
manager is completely useless.

For a practical problem, it encourages too many windows to be open at
once. I have enough windows open as it is, and the spatial metaphor
basically guarantees that moving around in your filesystem means you end
up with a bunch of windows on your screen, and often you won't care
about many of them. I believe Nautilus has an option (or maybe a key
combo) to close the current window when you open a folder from it, but -
to borrow Benny's phrase again - that sounds like an "unbreak my
software" option.

In "the user problem" of Benny's document, Benny makes observations
about his own home directory, and that it's too cluttered, and has a bad
directory structure. But... why is it bad? It seems like the argument
here is "because I can't effectively use my home directory using a
spatial view, it must mean that my home directory is at fault." Why
isn't the spatial metaphor at fault? I have a hugely cluttered home
directory, and I have no problems finding things. Sure, there are
probably a few old files that I haven't seen in years, but that's not
because I've "lost" them - it's because I don't need them anymore, and
because I'm a packrat, I haven't deleted them. Benny, you say, "I
realize that it wasn’t the file manager that was bad, but my handling of
files and directories was wrong." What? Why is it your fault? Why does
the software win? IMO, the software should conform to how our minds
work, not the other way around. Just because our minds work the way they
do because they've gotten used to a different model doesn't mean that
the other model is bad. Maybe it has a steeper learning curve, but
that's not an absolute negative. It's easy to argue that Linux and *BSD
have a steeper learning curve than Windows does, but I'm sure we'd
fiercely maintain that our OS/distro of choice is superior than Windows.

So, I dunno. Not to sound like an ass, but if Thunar ends up being a
spatial file manager, I won't use it. Not because I want to be a dick,
but because it isn't going to work for me, and even if it's possible to
put energy and time into it to make my mind work in a way that makes a
spatial file manager work well, I don't think that's a productive use of
my time when I consider the benefits. Whatever they may be - I can't
come up with anything, aside from "it'll make my home directory look
more organised." Um... so what? It works fine how it is. I don't care
how it looks.

So, to summarise my views:

* A spatial file browser only makes sense for environments where you can
do everything in the GUI, and there's no need or desire to do anything
outside of the metaphor that the DE tries to create. Xfce doesn't fit in
this box.
* For existing users, a spatial file manager defeats the purpose of
software. Software should conform to the model we have in our minds; it
shouldn't require us to change how we think and/or organise our data.
* Practically, it's annoying. The model virtually guarantees having
multiple unused windows open, which have to be closed manually.
Automatically closing them is problematic, and sounds hacky.

For my parting shot... Note that Apple, who arguably designs some of the
best user interfaces in the world, ditched the spatial metaphor for OS
X[0]. In hindsight, the first GUI file manager I used that wasn't the
old Windows 3.1 fileman.exe was the Finder on Mac System 7. It annoyed
me then, too: I distinctly remember the day I learned that, if you hold
down the option key while closing a window, it'll close all of its
parent windows too. I was so happy to have found a way to get rid of all
those useless, space-wasting windows without having to manually close
each one.

I'm not inherently against having a spatial file manager: I do see that
it probably has some benefits for new users (though probably not as many
as you'd think). But to be useful for me, it needs to have an option to
go into navigational mode.

-b

[0] Yes, I know you can make OS X's Finder behave spatially, but it's
not the default, and it's not easily discoverable.