[Thunar-dev] Mime Recognition

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Thu Aug 25 23:30:28 CEST 2005

>From what I've seen of the Thunar source code, it looks like all the mime
recognition resides in thunar-vfs/thunar-vfs-mime*.

What I'd like to propose is moving this mime parsing code out into either
libexo or libxfce4util, allowing other programs to use this mime database code.

I think that this will make it much easier to implement properly opening files
in programs like email clients, which have to recognize attachments and find
out program associations, or panel launchers, which would be able to accept a
file URI instead of a command line, and also be able to decide on the icon to
display automatically.

I'm sure that there are many other examples of programs throughout the desktop
that would be able to generic mime information to their advantage.

Does anyone agree that putting mime parsing in a library available to any Xfce
application is a good idea? or am I off my rocker?