[Thunar-dev] Mime Recognition

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Aug 25 23:39:02 CEST 2005

Ori Bernstein wrote:
>>From what I've seen of the Thunar source code, it looks like all the mime
> recognition resides in thunar-vfs/thunar-vfs-mime*.
>
> What I'd like to propose is moving this mime parsing code out into either
> libexo or libxfce4util, allowing other programs to use this mime database code.
>
> I think that this will make it much easier to implement properly opening files
> in programs like email clients, which have to recognize attachments and find
> out program associations, or panel launchers, which would be able to accept a
> file URI instead of a command line, and also be able to decide on the icon to
> display automatically.
>
> I'm sure that there are many other examples of programs throughout the desktop
> that would be able to generic mime information to their advantage.
>
> Does anyone agree that putting mime parsing in a library available to any Xfce
> application is a good idea? or am I off my rocker?

I've moved that to ThunarVFS because is easier to implement their (e.g.
threading and URIs are tricky without moving additional stuff to libexo,
which is not really a good idea).

There's no problem to use the code in other applications. Just link to
thunar-vfs. That way you can also access the trash and copy/move files,
etc, which will be used for the e.g. trash panel plugin once the panel
supports out-of-process plugins.

Once the stuff is stabilized, bindings to other languages (atleast
python) will be added for thunar-vfs.