[Installit-dev] setup.py installation

Stefan Stuhr xfcelists at sstuhr.dk
Sun Apr 30 22:27:03 CEST 2006

søn, 30 04 2006 kl. 22:00 +0200, skrev Jannis Pohlmann:
> > There are two problems here, as far as I can tell:
> >      1. InstallIt's setup.py doesn't install every needed file. In
> > fact, it omits the subdirectories of the ui and i18n directories.
> >      2. InstallIt seems to lookup resources such as icons in
> >         subdirectories of the current working directory.
>
> Yep. I havent figured out yet how to determine the distutils data dir
> path used during the installation. If this is possible, I could create
> a script during setup which contains information about the
> installation
> and refer to it when looking up icons and UI descriptions.

The GNOME menueditor Alacarte is written in Python, and used to use
distutils before version 0.9. Maybe you can look at their setup.py.

0.7.5 - simple, nice:
http://dev.realistanew.com/smeg/0.7.5/smeg-0.7.5.tar.gz

0.8 - more complicated with locale stuff (is it really necessary for
i18n?):
http://dev.realistanew.com/alacarte/releases/0.8/alacarte-0.8.tar.gz

Regarding icons, what about using GtkIconTheme? I have experience with a
lot of memory leaks with PyGTK and pixbufs[1], however, so don't overdo
it.

And regarding other resources, you could put them in share/installit/,
e.g. share/installit/xml/. It shouldn't be too hard to find them again,
it seems that the binary always is in bin/.

[1]:
http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=show&file=faq08.004.htp

> Regards,
> Jannis