[Installit-dev] setup.py installation

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Apr 30 22:36:48 CEST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:27:03 +0200, Stefan Stuhr wrote:

> søn, 30 04 2006 kl. 22:00 +0200, skrev Jannis Pohlmann:
> > > There are two problems here, as far as I can tell:
> > >      1. InstallIt's setup.py doesn't install every needed file. In
> > > fact, it omits the subdirectories of the ui and i18n directories.
> > >      2. InstallIt seems to lookup resources such as icons in
> > >         subdirectories of the current working directory.
> >
> > Yep. I havent figured out yet how to determine the distutils data
> > dir path used during the installation. If this is possible, I could
> > create a script during setup which contains information about the
> > installation
> > and refer to it when looking up icons and UI descriptions.
>
> The GNOME menueditor Alacarte is written in Python, and used to use
> distutils before version 0.9. Maybe you can look at their setup.py.
>
> 0.7.5 - simple, nice:
> http://dev.realistanew.com/smeg/0.7.5/smeg-0.7.5.tar.gz
>
> 0.8 - more complicated with locale stuff (is it really necessary for
> i18n?):
> http://dev.realistanew.com/alacarte/releases/0.8/alacarte-0.8.tar.gz

Thanks for the hints, I'll take a look at those programs.

> Regarding icons, what about using GtkIconTheme? I have experience
> with a lot of memory leaks with PyGTK and pixbufs[1], however, so
> don't overdo it.

You still need to define the icon (and its path) you want to register
to the icon theme in order to be able to look it up later.

> And regarding other resources, you could put them in share/installit/,
> e.g. share/installit/xml/. It shouldn't be too hard to find them
> again, it seems that the binary always is in bin/.

Well, of course they would be put into share/i2t/, but the problem is
*which* share/ we have put it. We can't search the whole filesystem for
a share/i2t. So we have to remember the data dir during the setup in
order to access it directly later.

Regards,
Jannis